My Motto

May the muffin rise to greet you, may your friends be always at your door, and until we meet again, warm a single-malt in the palm of your hand and make something homemade for someone you love.

Sunday, July 17, 2011

Key Lime Spritzer Cookies

"If life gives you limes, make margaritas."
~Jimmy Buffet

Twenty years ago or so, Pepperidge Farm marketed Lime Spritzer and Lemon Spritzer cookies.  They used to show up in the grocery store for the summer season only.  There aren't too many packaged cookies I like, but boy, did I look forward to them. Their absence from the shelves in recent years has prompted me to try to recreate them.  You can use key limes to make these, but the fresh ones were pretty expensive, so I used Nellie and Joe's bottled key lime juice and zested a regular Persian lime. These will be a new mainstay in the summer repertoire, for sure.  They were really tender, tart and sweet and just what I was hankering for.  It's always good to keep the Mister happy too.  He just gave them an enthusiastic "10" and said he could pound them like nachos (I better go hide some).

Key Lime Spritzer Cookies
makes 2 dozen cookies

1 1/2 sticks of butter, at room temperature
1/3 cup confectioner's sugar
1 3/4 cup flour
3 teaspoons lime zest
2 tablespoons cornstarch
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon baking powder
6 tablespoons key lime juice
For coating:
1 cup confectioner's sugar

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.  Line two cookie sheets with parchment paper.  In a large bowl, cream the butter, then beat in the zest and confectioner's sugar.  Measure into the bowl 1 3/4 cup flour, the cornstarch, salt, baking powder and beat well until incorporated.  Quickly beat in the lime juice and then drop teaspoons of dough (you should aim to size them small enough to pop the whole thing in your mouth) onto the lined cookie sheets.  Bake about 15 minutes or until lightly browned on the bottom.
Cool completely.  Place 1 cup of confectioner's sugar into a ziploc bag.  Add a couple cookies at a time and shake gently to coat them completely.  They are tender and will break easily, so don't add too many to the bag at once.  Store at room temperature in a sealed container (but they will probably be gone before they have a chance to get stale!).

13 comments:

Di said...

Ooh, yummy! I love cookies like these.

chow and chatter said...

wow love these I made key lime cupcakes recently love that lime taste

Amy said...

A few years ago, the Girl Scouts had a Lemon Cooler cookie. It was out just long enough for me to become addicted and then it disappeared. I'll have to make my own, I s'pose!

Margaret Murphy Tripp said...

@Di: Oh good...they're easy, too!
@Rebecca: Yes, me too, I have a couple more recipes to try as well!
@Amy: That was my reasoning!

Have a great week!

Kimby said...

I'm playing "catch up" tonight, Margaret, and I can see I've missed a lot since I last commented.

"The earth is crammed with heaven" -- and your blog contains a good portion of it. :) Thanks!

Margaret Murphy Tripp said...

@Kimby: Always nice to see you here - thanks a bunch!!!

Chef Dennis Littley said...

when you start with that much butter how can you go wrong! those little butties sound so very very good!
Thanks for sharing!

Margaret Murphy Tripp said...

@ChefDennis: Mmmmmmm, butter!!! Thanks Chef!

KDoucette said...

Looks awesome Marg!! I think that would be refresing with that rasberry vodka drink you made last week, OMG!! I so want to make that. I also wanted to share with you, I made an awesome risotto dish tonight, you inspired me and Den made a dope Hazelnut chicken with orange thyme cream sauce with frangelica in it and a french salad called "salad paysanne", romaine and green leaf lettuce, with sauteed onions, hash brown sliced potatoes, chopped thick bacon bits, mixed with french dijon vinegarette dressing, it's awesome. If you want to try them, I will email the recipes to you. LMK! I am back to cooking again, doing jam soon too! Love you

Margaret Murphy Tripp said...

Send me the recipes, Kris...they sound awesome! Glad you're feeling better and can get back to doing things you enjoy!! Much love, xoxo

cowboycoffee said...

looking for a scratch recipe for these, just wanted to let you know these are simple, and deeeeeelicious.
From a professional chef, you nailed this, ty for the post.

cowboycoffee said...

Made these tonight. you nailed it. delicious and easy.

Margaret Murphy Tripp said...

Thanks! So happy you enjoyed them!