My Motto

May the muffin rise to greet you, may your friends be always at your door, and until we meet again, warm a single-malt in the palm of your hand and make something homemade for someone you love.

Thursday, July 28, 2011

Coconut Chocolate Chip Cookies

"Sometimes me think, what is love? And then me think love is what last cookie is for.  Me give up the last cookie for you."
~Cookie Monster (Sesame Street)
We've had a record breaking heat wave (like much of the country) this July in New England.  As a consequence, I haven't baked much in recent weeks.  This baking slump is killing me.  Random cravings torment.  The frozen stash has disappeared.  Breakfast has reverted back to cereal (GASP!).  Since today's 85 degrees felt comparatively cool next to last week's 105, I jumped at the opportunity to fire up the oven.  This recipe has been turning around in my mind for days although the bug was planted back in February by Maggie at Vittles and Bits.  When I mentioned the idea to my daughter, she said "DO IT!" and I didn't need much encouragement.  The cookies came out moist, chewy and coco-nutty.  Exactly what this baked-goody-deprived household was Jonesing for.

Chocolate Chip Coconut Cookies
Adapted from a recipe on the blog Vittles and Bits
Makes 2 Dozen Cookies

1 stick butter, at room temperature
2 tablespoons Crisco (or other shortening)
1/2 cup sugar
1/2 cup brown sugar
1 egg
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/2 teaspoon coconut extract
1 1/2 cups flour
3/4 teaspoon baking soda
3/4 salt
1 1/4 cups chocolate chips
1 cup sweetened flaked coconut

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.  In a large bowl, beat butter and Crisco together.  Add sugars and beat well.  Add egg and extracts and beat on low until combined.  In a small bowl, stir together the flour, baking soda and salt then stir in to the wet ingredients.  Stir in the chips and coconut.

Drop by tablespoonfuls onto cookie sheet.  Bake for 10-12 minutes.

2 comments:

Verena said...

Oh my, this recipe sound do good!!! Thank you so much for sharing! My family is already waiting for me to try a new recipe, but I was a bit lazy. ;o) They are so spoiled!
Please send some sun over to Germany! It feels like the fall is already coming.

Have a wonderful week!

Love,
Verena

Margaret Murphy Tripp said...

@Verena: Nice to see you! It's been so hot here, I'm longing for fall!!! You have a great week too. Hope you get a chance to try the cookies. xoxo