My Motto

May the muffin rise to greet you, may your friends be always at your door, and until we meet again, warm a single-malt in the palm of your hand and make something homemade for someone you love.

Sunday, August 15, 2010

Kassie's Almond Cake


The other day at the lake, while I was putting together the cinnamon rolls, I decided to make an almond pound cake for Audrey's friend, Kassie, since she is allergic to cinnamon.  We had been talking the night before about how much we liked all things almond.  In fact, it was Kassie's idea to add almond flavoring to the Cafe Latte, which made it AWESOME.

Things were a little challenging in the lakehouse kitchen.  It has 100% charm, but only 50% modern conveniences (not complaining...I can usually figure out a way to make whatever I want there).
So, I go to beat the butter and the electric hand mixer didn't work.  Found another....yay!  The beaters went "clunk!" and it stalled.  I had to scrape all the butter out of the chunky old beater attachments.  Eureka...an old fashioned hand beater! Didn't work on the butter....rats!  Back to scraping butter off blades....you get the picture.  Finally, I resorted to a whisk and did my best.  The cake looked good:
And it smelled good.  But it was dry and well, sort of brick-like.  I could have tied a rope to it and used it as an anchor.  We ended up toasting slices and adding Moose Tracks ice cream and chocolate sauce.  You have no idea how much these things bother me.  In my mind, the gauntlet was thrown, the challenge was on.  I had to come up with the almond cake I was imagining.

Yesterday, I nailed it.  A nice, moist almond cake for Kassie.  It's not a pound cake, nor is it an Italian almond cake, because it's not made with almond paste or marzipan.   I took an old Silver White Cake recipe I've had for 20 years and tweaked it with sour cream for added moisture, and almond extract.  Finished with a nice light almond glaze to hold in moisture. The mixing is a bit unorthodox for a cake, but it works.  I served it with fresh whipped cream flavored with both vanilla and almond extract.  We had it for breakfast today.  It was delicious.  Ahhh, sweet redemption.


Kassie's Almond Cake

2 + 3/4 cups all purpose flour

1 + 1/2 cups sugar

1 tablespoon baking powder

3/4 teaspoon salt

1 stick, plus 5 tablespoons butter, softened

4 large egg whites + 1 large egg

¾ cup sour cream

2 teaspoons pure vanilla

1 teaspoon almond extract

Mix all the dry ingredients in a mixing bowl.
Add softened butter with a mixer, until thoroughly combined (will look crumbly).
Add egg whites, one at a time, then mix in whole egg. Beat to build volume after each.
Add sour cream with extracts to batter, 1/3 at a time, beating and keeping the mixture fluffy.
Grease and flour pans of choice: I used a 12" spring-form pan (a 10" pan would work as well).
Bake at 350º.  Check at 5 minute intervals after 20 minutes and cook just until done (when touched at the center it springs back).
Glaze:
Melt 1 tablespoon butter in a small saucepan
Add ½ cup powdered sugar
Add 1 tablespoon milk or cream and 1/2 teaspoon almond extract.
Whisk together, then spread over hot cake.

When cake is completely cooled, dust with confectioner's sugar.

No comments: